Welcome to Our Exhibition









#Black Lives Matter
artists' mural in downtown Columbus, Ohio, Jun 21, 2020




Welcome to our virtual exhibition Human Revolution: Reworking the Soul for Justice, dedicated to the study of Black Lives Matters in the Arts and our individual responsibility to make this world a loving and safe place for everyone. We are Mercy College's Global Honors Students who spent our Spring 2021 semester in the thick of the Covid-19 pandemic and the social justice movements raging against racism and inequities. Our course "Black Lives Matter in Art" focused on the history of Black artists in Africa and the diaspora, especially in the United States.  We also studied systemic racism evidenced by the depiction of Black subjects in art history and systemic racism in the arts professions. 




Sarah Bracey White



   
Wilhelmina Obatola Grant-Cooper



E. Patrick Hankin





The highlights of our semester together were the guest presentations delivered by Sarah Bracey White, writer and Executive Director of Arts and Culture for the Town of Greenburgh; Wilhelmina Obatola Grant-Cooper, award-winning artist and director of Sistaah.org (Survivors Inspiring Sisters Through Art and Advocacy for Health); and E. Patrick Hankin, curator, interior designer, artists' coach, motivational speaker, and member of the board for the Clay Art Center in Port Chester. The impact of our guests' moving lectures, workshops and conversations shaped our vision for this exhibition. Thank you, Ms. Bracey White, Ms. Grant-Cooper, and Mr. Hankin, for your encouragement and guidance, which inspired the artworks and poems you find here. 

We also thank the co-directors of the Global Honors Program,  Professor K. Patrick Faziola and Professor Irina Ellison, for selecting this course for Honors Art History, Spring 2021. And we thank the directors of the GHP and the School of Liberal Arts' series Resilience for funding our guest speakers program.


Here are our Honors Students and their projects: 
  1. A mask from Ms. Grant-Cooper's inspired by the artist's autobiographical lecture. She assigned the mask projects with instructions to use only things around the house (recycle instead of discard, save our planet, reduce excess waste)
  2. A meaningful photo that speaks of our individual identities in relation to our work, families and school, inspired by Sarah Bracey White's memoir Primary Lessons and her autobiographical presentation.
  3. A meditation on who we are based on where we come from, our taste, our friends, etc. These were questions posed by E. Patrick Hankin during his workshop "Building Community in the Arts through Diversity."



_____________________


Lailat Suleman Ahmed





I did my mask on March 6th, which is Ghana's Independence Day. My mask is made out of cardboard and a kente cloth. Ghana is known for its kente cloth, so I decided to use that to symbolize Ghana. I also colored the cardboard box gold (yellow) because Ghana is known as the Gold Coast. It is very rich in gold. For the eyes, I used the Ghana flag. Red represents the blood of those who died in the struggle for independence. The gold represents Ghana's mineral wealth, such as gold and cocoa. The green represents Ghana's rich forest. The black star stands for the lodestar of African freedom. I did this mask to represent Ghana's 64th Independence Day.







I choose this picture of me and my baby cousin because he is my motivation to do better in life. Even though he is just a 1 year old I feel he looks up at me because he picks up on most of my habits, good or bad. This little boy means so much to me. Since I don't have any siblings, I consider him as my sibling. I was there from when he came into this world until now. I'm basically like his part-time mom. We have a really strong bond and I just love it.



* * *

Travelling

Traveling is the best time to learn

Getting to know about different lifestyles is astonishing

When traveling a person gets to encounter many different lifestyles

As a traveler life is different and extraordinary

 

Getting to know about different lifestyles is astonishing

How people live their lives

As a traveler life is different and extraordinary

Some may party all day or all night

 

How people live their lives

Chasing the bag… Getting that bread

Some may party all day or all night

You would be surprised about how similar your life can be to others 

 

Chasing the bag… Getting that bread

When traveling a person gets to encounter many different lifestyles

You would be surprised about how similar your life can be to others 

Traveling is the best time to learn




I wrote this poem about traveling a while back because I am a traveler. I decided to use this poem because I am currently on vacation. It describes my life at this moment. 


Research project: Faith Ringgold


____________________


Rebecca Bhimsain





For my mask I used leftover material from my costume making days in high school. For the base I used cardboard and painted it. I chose the base color to be skin tone because I wanted it to represent us as humans and also to make the colors I wanted to use pop. The colors on the upper part represent the different thoughts that go through our heads, what our minds are capable of. I used white flowers for the eyes because I like the idea of "beauty being in the eyes of the beholder." For the nose I chose a blue flower along with the blue dots on the face because blue symbolizes serenity, stability, inspiration and good health. And I wish that everyone experiences these things after what we all endured in the the past year. I decided to use gold flat beads for the mouth because as humans our voices are powerful. We can achieve so much by raising our voices and addressing injustice. 




This is a photo of an AE 102 fighter jet, flown only in the Air Force. This picture is important to me because it is my life-long dream to become a pilot. This jet is more than a mere object to me: every time I look at it I am motivated to work even harder to pursue my dreams.


* * *




I took this photo on February 13, 2020 at the Dobbs Ferry Campus while waiting for the Metro North train to head home. It was one of the last times I was on campus before the pandemic hit. It reminds me of serenity, of peace and hope as the sun is setting. We see God's art as he gives us the beautiful ending of another day with the promise of a tomorrow. This is one of my favorite pictures ever. Sunsets can be both beautiful and sad because they are often the last thing many people see.  It is a reminder for me personally that we should slow down and appreciate the small things that we take for granted in life. 


Research project: Henry Ossawa Tanner

_________________

Brianna Brancaccio




This is a tattoo that I had gotten over a year ago. I unfortunately do not have the original piece. This image motivates my every move, my every action. My grandmother, my nanny, and my mother had drawn many pictures of this sort and always told me and my sister, "let your mind go as far as the galaxy, you are capable of anything you put it to." In honor of her taking up the role of my mother growing up and forming me into the young lady I am today, I got this tattooed put on my body as a reminder that I am capable, I am art, I am me. 



__________________



Lisseth Cabrera





The materials I used to make my mask were cardboard as a base and party confetti in disc shape, which were affixed to the base with rubber cement. I chose the confetti colors based on the richness they contain and the jewel like resemblance. Many of the earth's riches are found in Africa and have been extracted from the ground using Black labor. The natural beauty that Africans exude was embellished with the gold and silver discs, making my mask one used in celebrations.



I choose this picture because it reminds me of my high school graduation. This picture means a lot to me: here I am with my best friend whom I met when I started high school and since the first day we built a nice friendship. We are still friends. He used to write poems to me and he taught me how to draw.  He has support me all this time.

* * * 

Good Shepherd

Good Shepherd

If people could be a sheep?

Everything would be different,

And beautiful

In this world without

Rancor,

Racism,

But, you know what?

I will be the difference!

No race, color exist in my eyes and heart

You and I are one

We are part of the same world

No difference between us

God created us as his image!


I choose to write a poem because I want to inspired others.


Research project: Henry Ossawa Tanner


__________________



Ashley Carrasquillo








In terms of my mask, I did what I felt resonated the most with me. I used an old shoe box for the face and a tomato carton for the nose. I used the other side of the shoe box for the eyebrows. For the earrings I used a metal clasp with bracelet charms. You will notice I use pink, green, hearts, butterflies, flowers, and stars. Most of the colors are paint, marker, and colored pencil. I used pink because I like the color and the brightness it brings. I used green to represent new beginnings (like the pink blush and green contour). The hair is made of string that I had from crafts over the summer, alternating from pink and purple. This is the only time purple is shown. It represents success and ambition. The butterflies and flowers serve as protection and new opportunities. There is also glitter on the cheekbones- signaling a bright future ahead. I added freckles on the cheeks and nose because they look beautiful on others. There is a heart on the forehead.  The heart serves as love to be given to others. I drew the eyeliner from paint. The eyeliner isn’t much, only that I am fond of it. The eyeshadow alternates, done through colored pencil, to add more color. I also added a nose ring with the metal clasp because I find people with one have a carefree spirit--something I should embrace. There are butterfly clips placed for a “childish” energy, one that is not afraid to be who they are. The necklace also takes on a free spirit with the random placement of the bracelet charms. While I am nowhere near being like my mask, I know in the future I can transform myself through these qualities into the person I aspire to be.




This is a picture my mom and I had picked out around six years ago. This picture, while not much, means a lot to me. I got this when I was going through a hard time and every relationship I had was strained, including with my mom. I believe this was some way of my mom not being invasive yet letting me know she was always there for me and will love me no matter what. It is a simple picture that is over my bed that means a lot to me. It is a nice little reminder we can all use. I am sure this picture will be in my own home one day.


* * *



I have these flowers in my yard that always bloom around spring. I took this photo when we went into lockdown last year. Coming out of a very challenging season, I see that the flowers are out along with the sun. They were too pretty not to pick and take a picture of.


Every year these flowers serve as a reminder that life goes on and you can continue to grow no matter the circumstance. That if you are going through a rough patch you can persevere; you just have to be willing to embrace change.


Research project: Rose Piper


____________________



Esmael Dukvaray










I used cardboard and color highlighters to create my mask. The main purpose of my mask is to show that even though we are facing difficult times right now, together we can get through it. The yellow color in the mask represents joy, energy, and happiness for the future. 





This is a picture of Nelson Mandela when he was arrested and facing a life sentence. Fighting for freedom Mandela refused to give up until he accomplish his goal for equality. Even during his time in prison he wrote numerous books, and continued to fight for freedom for through his work. This picture is so significant for me because this is a man I look up to; a man who saw beyond the struggle and pain, believing that one day the best part of humanity will win over the worst part. Anytime I feel discouraged or feel like giving up, I think about his quote: "Patience, vision and tolerance. It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela. 


* * * 




I stand in dark without a shadow 

I stand in dark without a shadow
 

I speak with voice but no one perceives

I exit but people are too blind to know

It’s invisibility that deceives

 

It’s detestation in my bitter soul

Every time I walk in I am ignored

And left out in my luminescent hole

The only black person in town and bored

 

I've stayed underground for my entire life

I am not free, how can I be happy?

The society has made black a strife

Am just something they want to make snappy

 

They caused cruelty upon me with distaste

My hope and passion have all gone to waste.

 

I wrote this poem to express the racism and hate African Americans have gone through in the past and are still experiencing until this day. This poem shows how by being black in society, many people just perceive you as a dangerous person. From how the police are treating African Americans to the inequality in our  justice system. Even though the poem may sound like there is no hope, I believe that with hard work and fighting for our rights we will bring back justice that everyone deserves. 



Research project: Aaron Douglas


__________________




Maheen Faisal







 I tried to make a mask that illustrates myself in the present. I tried to keep the mask simple and meaningful. As you can see my mask has dried out contact lens as the eyes. It is a reflection because I was not feeling well for the past couple of days due to personal reasons which led to crying, which caused dry eyes. When I saw this case with dried contact lenses I felt an instant connection with my current situation. I had to make sure my mask had hair because my hair is a very important part of my personality. I used gold on the cheeks, to represent the gold undertones of my Indian/Pakistani skin. The lips are specifically gold because I have learned to speak kind words no matter how much anyone has hurt me. 






This is a photo of my Uncle, who was also my best friend. He passed away when he was only 29 years old. He always pushed me to do better and wanted to see me succeed. Looking at his pictures always inspires me to be the best version of myself, and gives me the courage to do better so I can make him proud.


* * *

artist: Abdal Mafti 


I open the windows to see

I open the windows to see

I open the windows to breathe

To open the windows is to open the eyes

To possibilities and opportunities that may arise

But it takes courage to be wise

And I choose to close my eyes.


I wrote this poem for this image I came across which reminded me of girls back home in my country Pakistan. Although the world and society have progressed, girls in some rural areas and villages in my country still lack freedom and are limited to their houses. I live in the United States, but still sometimes can relate to these girls when my parents get to decide what's best for me or what I should or should not be allowed to do. My heart goes out to all these girls with dreams, and ambitions who see the world just from the windows of their houses.


Research project: Betye Saar


___________________



Isabella Hanesworth









Since I was a kid, I have had a tendency to collect trinkets and junk. Most of the junk is meaningless. I collected and kept these items because I enjoyed looking at them. In other words, these items inspired such an intense feeling of joy that I secured and stored them. I can't tell you why these pieces invoked such feelings in me. Explaining that phenomena is similar to describing why your favorite color is orange. For instance, my favorite color is blue. When I look at a nice shade of blue, it invigorates positive feelings. No other color, no matter how beautiful, makes me react the same way blue colors do. Again, I am not sure why.  Therefore, I believe these items represent an inexplicable part of myself; this mask of trinkets illustrates a part of me that I can't explain. When you look at my mask, please have fun identifying some of the items I have kept throughout the years. I hope you can learn a little about me and the colors, textures, and objects that catch my eye. 





I took this photo over the summer. On that day, my friends and I linked in Central Park to eat, talk, and walk. Because I went to high school in Manhattan, the city brings back comforting memories. I am very attached to the city, since I grew up here. When I am walking around the city or visiting parks and museums with my closest friends, I feel fulfilled and comfortable. Overall, this picture depicts what I consider a wonderful day. At the end of my life, I believe it is these days that will stand out the most in my memories. 



* * *



I took this picture during a trip to visit my family in Panamá in 2018. I myself am not Panamanian. My grandmother and her brother were Americans who grew up in the Canal Zone, which was an American territory within Panamá. After getting married to an American soldier posted in Panamá, my grandmother returned to the states. However, her brother stayed and married a Panamanian women. As a result, I have a lot of uncles, cousins, and aunts in Panamá.

I had the opportunity to visit my family Panamá in 2018 with my grandmother. Although I loved meeting my family, I had mixed feelings about the trip. Most of my family resides in a wealthy, gated community in Panamá. In short, they accumulated wealth and privilege in this country as a result of their involvement with the Panamá Canal (during America’s control of the canal). The Panamanians despised the existence of the Canal Zone and protested America’s presence in their country until 1979, when America finally abolished the zone. In addition, Panamá also fought hard to regain control of the Panamá Canal from America. Overall, my family’s wealthy and lavish lifestyle in Panamá reflected the wealth America gained from the exploitation of Panamá. I was dismayed to know that my family had profited off of American imperialism.

At one point during the trip, we drove through the former Canal Zone so that my grandmother could see the area where she grew up. After returning the territory to Panamá, the zone underwent some physical changes. The erasure of American presence in the former Canal Zone, my grandmas home town, greatly saddened her. Her despair contrasted with the joy the Panamanians felt when they regained their territory.

This trip forced me to grapple with my family’s history and their involvement in the America’s occupation of Panamá. Likewise, I acknowledged that my family’s privilege and wealth was accumulated by the exploitation of others. Therefore, I am determined to use my own privilege and wealth to re-empower and fight for the people that my family, along with other white Americans, have exploited through slavery, occupation/imperialism, and immigrant labor. Rather than wallowing in shame and guilt, or denying responsibility, we should own up to our histories and take concrete action for justice. 

The picture I posted shows the old town Casco Viejo in Panamá. In the backdrop, you can see a couple shiny skyscrapers. I felt as though the contrast of these two building structures represented the clash of commercial investments (often backed by American companies) with the traditional culture of Panamá, and the ongoing gentrification that threatens to overtake Casco Viejo. This contrast between Americanism and Panamanian culture also lives in my family, who are both American and Panamanian. 


Research project: Emory Douglas


____________________



Ariana Lopez







I decided to make the mask out of a cardboard box lying around the house. Since I am Mexican, British, and Puerto Rican, I decided to show who I am. First, I cut it out to represent a sugar skull to represent my Mexican side. I did part of the Puerto Rican flag and part of the British flag on the top to decorate it, and I designed the bottom of my mask in a similar way that sugar skulls are decorated.  My mask mainly represents my Mexican side because I am more Mexican than anything. Do not get me wrong, I love who I am and where I come from, but this lets you know who I am and where I come from. 







This picture was taken on October 5, 2018. This picture is important to me because it was one of the last pictures I have of my great grandfather before he passed away on October 10, 2018. He was such a sweet guy and loved everyone he met. He never failed to put a smile on someone's face. I was lucky because I was someone who was able to meet my great grandfather. Not many people get to meet their great grandparents. He was also lucky because he was able to see his great-grandchildren grow up. This picture reminds me of the good memories I had with him and how much he loved me and all his grand and great-grandchildren. 

* * *



This picture was taken on June 30, 2019, the day of my high school graduation. What inspired me to decorate my cap with the saying "my dreams don't have borders" was being born into a family of immigrants. My family inspires me because when they came to the United States, they did everything they could to make sure all their kids will have a better life than they did. They always made sure their families were happy, healthy, and had everything they needed. My grandparents have shown me what it's like to struggle; my parents have shown me what it's like to struggle. My dreams do not have borders because if my family can do it, so can I. They helped me to be the best person I could be. They motivated me to believe that I can achieve anything and overcome any obstacle in my way. I had so many obstacles that year, and I constantly said to myself, "it's my senior year; this shouldn't be happening. Why is this happening?" After overcoming all obstacles that hit me in 2019, I  know that I can achieve any dream regardless of the obstacles. My dreams don't have borders, and neither should yours. 


Research project: Minnie Evans


__________________



Nilka Rivera










I made this mask out of a box of gloves as you can see and I didn't want to paint over it because this mask represents for me saying goodbye to Covid-19. When the pandemic started, my family and I always wore gloves. It was like a rule in our house. So the collection of glove boxes, of masks, of alcohol bottles and wipes is pretty big in our house and slowly we are throwing it away. I wanted to make a mask out of the box of gloves representing that I made my peace and memory with Covid.  The mask represents a symbol of making something so you can let it go the best that you can. Like if you were making a collage of old photos that you want to forget and then throwing it away.  






This is a photo of my dog.  She's a schnauzer. She's two years old and my favorite moment is when she comes home from grooming because I say to her she is the model of the house when she looks like this. This photograph was when she came home from her grooming and she looked like a dog princess to me. This photo has a lot of meaning for me because I couldn't see her grow up when I was away in college. So when the pandemic started I dedicated myself to photographing her every single time I found her cute, beautiful, silly, or just annoying. Her name is Bella, like Bella from Twilight


***



Life is like a turning table, it goes around

Life is like a turning table, it goes around

just like the sun. The only difference is that 

the sun doesn't stop. We do.


Life doesn't stop, life goes on. 

Just like the waves of the ocean 

and the rays of the sun.


Life is one, like the stars and galaxies.

The difference is that they know how special they are,

but life doesn't know.


Life is past, present and future.

Like the moon and planets.


Life is one 

and we need to learn how to live on. 


I wrote this poem with the purpose of saying that, basically, whatever obstacles you have, life is one and it's a precious thing. We just have to push through it and move on.


Research project: Augusta Savage


_________________



Kiahna Simpson










The base of my masks a basic face shape I cut out of cardboard and painted entirely silver. My goal was to achieve a sort of futuristic look because I’m always thinking about the future. On the head there’s an opening that leads to a galaxy. I connect galaxies to openness and how we have an abundant amount of opportunities out there to grasp. There’s a shooting star coming out of it, resting on a flower crown. For the eyes and nose I used old jewels and the mouth is an old sticker heart from Valentine’s Day. I wanted to make my mask a bit plain like a blank canvas because I believe that the future is something that can always change and not everything has been planned out.





This is a photo of one of my first paintings when I realized my love for painting in high school. Many of my art pieces were sold in an art show for a school fundraiser the year.  I painted this and I brought this as a reminder to continue doing what I love. I don't paint as much anymore but I plan to get back into it soon hopefully. I have an art page on Instagram with man and other pieces I've done @creativitybydcompare.



* * *


Your Galaxy

In which I wish to reach:

The stars, 

The planets,

The galaxy,

To be free.

In my grasp:

My dreams,

A little self-esteem, 

My future, 

The ability to maneuver.

What we can do:

Anything we put our minds to.

Everybody is their own galaxy,

Only in darkness can you see the stars.

Just paint your galaxy,

And there they are.

Let your dreams be bigger than your fears,

Your actions louder than your words,

And be who you are.


I wrote this poem in order to express that everyone is finding their own path towards the future.


Research project: Wilfredo Lam


__________________




Yairi Tejeda












For this mask, I used cardboard, a hot-glue gun, a gluestick, stickers, construction paper, a piece of rope ribbon, and beads. With this mask, I wanted to portray happiness and love. With the shiny ribbon on the top of the mask, I wanted to show that we all have bright ideas and a bright future ahead of us. I believe that its important to keep hope even in the worst days. Finding a bit of happiness has become a necessity during these hard times. 




This is a photograph of my dog Prince. He is a Yorkie and is 1 year old. Back in March, my family and I decided to get a puppy and honestly it was a great decision. He instantly won all of our hearts. He is playful, energetic, sweet, and extremely loving. He also jumps very high. He brings joy to our home. He is very important to me because even in my bad days, having him makes me feel better.



* * *





One thing I always look forward to in the spring are the flowers. They bring joy, beauty, color, and pleasure to our daily lives. It gives me a sense of a new fresh beginning. Flowers represent the cycle of creation. A flower can have different purposes which can represent love, console in sorrow, congratulations, or celebrations. They come in different shapes and colors. This shows  that no matter how different we are, we are all beautiful in our own ways. These flowers are in my backyard. I enjoy going outside, looking at the view of these beautiful flowers. I see perfection in every bit of this picture.

 

Research project: Ernie Barnes


____________-______



Talisa Vasquez







I made my mask out of cardboard and decided to make it a collage with magazine cutouts. I cut out pictures and words that spoke to me in terms of beauty standards. This mask represents society's beauty standards, especially of women in the U.S. today. Thanks to social media, beauty standards have definitely made a negative impact on people's self-image and self-esteem. I included words and phrases such as "Instagram face," which is a new term used to describe the trend of having seemingly poreless skin in social media photos, as typically seen on Instagram. I also added the word "conceal," which I believe to be is the sole purpose of many masks; they are meant to disguise our faces with a more adorned, enhanced version of who we are, kind of like makeup. This is also why I added beads to the mask, to adorn it, sort of like a masquerade mask. I believe this mask serves as a representation of hope for the future. It symbolizes the hope that we can all learn to feel beautiful in our own skin.





This is a photograph of me when I was a toddler with my Grandma at the park. It is important to me because I spent much of my childhood with my Grandma. She took care of me when my mom was at work. I also used to carry around my Nemo plush everywhere I went. It was like a pet to me. (I still have the plush to this day.) This picture reminds me of how much I enjoy spending time with my Grandma.



* * *




This picture was taken the last time I went to the city. It reminds me of why I wanted to study in New York. I wanted to be close to the city because not only are there tons of shops, restaurants, museums, and parks to go to, but there are tons of job, internship, and volunteer opportunities. There are a lot of places and opportunities to make an impact, even if it is small. I have always been drawn to the city ever since I went there as a little kid. On my birthday, my mom and I would take the train to the city and I was amazed, and still am, at the amount of people from different countries speaking different languages. Many people from different countries are drawn to the city for the same reasons as me. Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, I have been taking online classes at home. This photo also represents the hope that one day, I can go back on campus and also go back to the city.


Research project: Ernie Barnes


__________________

 
Adriana Villao







My mask is made out of cardboard and I used paint and beads to decorate it. I chose to put black paint on the edges of the mask to show the dark past of 2020 and in history. I chose to put bright and vibrant colors in the middle of the mask to show the positivity and happiness that the world still has. Even though things can get tough, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I tried to make the bright colors really stand out.





This is a picture of my grandpa and I. We are very close and he is like a father to me. This photo was taken almost a year ago on his 88th birthday! I pray to God that I spend many more birthdays with him. He is my rock. Whenever I am having a bad day, he always knows how to cheer me up. He has done so much for me and I am very grateful to have him in my life.


* * *





I decided to add a photo of the Rockefeller Christmas tree because it always brings me so much joy when I see it. Christmas is my favorite holiday. My mom and I see the Rockefeller Christmas tree every year. It is a tradition I love and will always cherish. I know Christmas has passed but I hope this picture brings joy to everyone, because whenever I see a Christmas tree or Christmas decorations, I immediately feel happy and warmth inside my heart.


Research project: Jacob Lawrence


___________________________




This virtual exhibition is dedicated to artist Michael Rolando Richards, who perished in the September 11, 2001 World Trade Center attack. Throughout his life and art, he urged us to recognize issues brought forward by the Black Lives Matter movement. May his art continue to inspire and educate.


Michael Richards, Tar Baby vs. St. Sebastian
from the Tuskegee Airmen series, 1999
currently on view at the Museum of Modern Art, North Miami
through October 10, 2021


Michael Rolando Richards



And dedicated to the kind and brilliant Mercy College Spring 2021 Honors 292 students, who were such a pleasure to get to know, work with and share this journey through the history of Black art, artists and arts professionals. Thank you all so much for this honor.

Dr. Beth Gersh-Nešić




Comments